A bedtime routine is a must for babies so that your baby understands it is settling time and helps in soothing himself which results in sound sleep.
These rituals make your baby sleep quickly when followed consistently. A good night’s sleep is important for the physical and emotional health. If you practice these sleep time rituals daily from the new born period, it helps them when they are toddlers to avoid tantrums when bedtime is announced.
Bedtime ritual should include some simple events, also words and should be done daily. It should be relaxing for both mom and child. A 30 minute before sleep is just enough for a simple bedtime routine. It can include:
- Announcing its Bed time
- Changing nappies or potty time
- A warm bath with massage: A warm bath followed by massage with light oils or lotion will make your baby’s tired body relax .who doesn’t enjoy a massage before sleep.
- Brushing the teeth: For Babies you can use washcloth or gauze or even finger toothbrush. For toddlers a pea sized amount of toothpaste on toothbrush will do
- Saying goodnight to papa, toys and others in the home
- Reading books or stories: This can be started from the early stage even though babies won’t understand; eventually they will start showing interest. Story books with big pictures or board book will do
- Lights off
- Cuddles and kisses for the sleepy baby
- Prayers: it should be short and simple.
- Breastfeeding or formula feeding the baby
- You can include lullabies or gentle music