When you’re pregnant, everything changes, including your diet.Eating healthy and balanced food during pregnancy is a must. Some foods should be avoided or limited as it can harm the baby.
- Avoid any undercooked or raw meat/Seafood /Poultry
Any meat, fish or Poultry which is not cooked properly may contain bacteria. It is better to avoid sushi or sausages. Avoid Fishes which contain high mercury. Choose fresh water fishes.
Leftover food should be stored in fridge to reheat to at least 60oC and use within a day of cooking
- Avoid unpasteurized milk
- Avoid soft cheese eg, brie, camembert, ricotta, fetta, blue etc.
- Eggs which are undercooked as it may contain salmonella which causes vomiting and diarrhea.
When taking eggs boiled or omelette cook until the yolk (yellow) part is firm.
- Avoid taking mayonnaise, mousse, puddings custards which contain eggs. These are usually made with raw eggs. So please check the list of ingredients before eating.
- Limit your caffeine (tea or coffee).You can take 1 or 2 cups but it’s better to avoid in the first three months. Two reasons for this it can affect your baby’s brain, it provides a catalyst for miscarriages and moreover these days pesticides such as DDT are used in tea and coffee powder. Green tea and chocolates (caffeine) should also be in moderation. Avoid soda and aerated drinks
- Fruits and vegetables should be washed, peeled properly to remove pesticides. If you can get organic go for it. High pesticide containing foods like grapes , raisins, imported fruits and veggies etc. should be avoided Research shows pesticides are one of the reasons for birth defects.
- Better to avoid packaged foods or tin foods. There are many reports that found harmful bacteria inside the packed or canned tin. Choose pasteurized refrigerated ones. It’s better to empty the pack to any vessel to see if there is anything inside
- Pineapples are rich in bromelain, which can cause the softening of the cervix leading to early labour. So it’s better not to take pineapple
- Papaya: if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, avoid eating unripe papaya. Papaya that is unripe contains a latex substance that may cause contractions of the uterus. Well Ripened papaya is nutritious and can be taken by pregnant woman in moderate amounts as some doctors still advice not t take as a ripened papaya can have some amount of enzymes in it
- Goat meat is better than chicken as it is clean and contains less hormones and drugs
- Limit sugary, fatty foods, artificial sweeteners, preservatives etc. once in a while, food craving for these are not that bad
- Avoid Alcohol
- Liver and liver containing foods are better to be avoided as it contain large amount of vitamin A that can harm baby