Kidchen is a venture by Sanaa and Jalaja. We teach children, 3 years and up, how to cook and introduce them to the wonderful world of honest flavours, real ingredients, and good food. We conduct introductory workshops and regular classes covering various kitchen skills and techniques, and enabling them with a life skill that promotes a healthy attitude towards food.
Edible Christmas Tree Ornaments / Stained Glass Cookies
Room Temperature Butter – 1/2 cup
Caster sugar – 3/4 cup
Milk – 3 tbsp
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Flour – 2 cups (Plus extra for dusting)
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
1. Separate the Poppins based on their colours. Put different colours in separate zip lock bag and crush them into pieces with a rolling pin. Repeat for all colours and keep aside.
2. In a bowl beat room temperature butter. Add sugar and beat until fluffy and creamy.
3. Add vanilla extract and milk and beat again until combined.
4. In a separate bowl sieve flour and baking powder. Add salt and whisk for even mixing.
5. Add the flour to butter mixture and beat until just combined after each addition. Do not over beat.
Rolling the dough:
6. Transfer the mixed dough to a clean surface sprinkled with flour. Mix well until the dough comes to gather. Roll the dough into a disc shape, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate it for minimum 30 mins. (Here you can separate the dough into different batches and add few drops of food colouring if you would like to have different coloured cookies.)
7. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 130 d C and prepare your baking tray by lining it with parchment paper/aluminium foil.
8. Remove the dough from fridge, roll it into 1/4 inch thickness and transfer the rolled dough onto the baking tray and then cut, this will help is retaining the shape of the cut cookies.
Cutting the cookies!
9. Cut the cookies into desired shapes. First using a big cutter cut the cookies and then use the smaller cutter and cut the middle of the cookies. Using a small round icing nozzle punch a hole at the top edge of all the cookies, this will be used to pass the thread over it and hang later on(if you plan to use these cookies are Christmas Ornaments to decorate Christmas tree).
10. Add crushed candies in the middle of the cookies.
11. Bake in pre heated oven at 130 d C for 8-10 mins. Bake until the edges of the cookies starts to turn pale golden. Do not brown it fully. They won’t look very appealing.
12. Remove them from the oven and let it rest on the tray for 5 mins because (if you try to remove from tray at this point, the cookies will break). remove them from the tray. If you plan to use them as decorating ornaments, tie with thread and hang on the Christmas tree, Store in airtight containers.
Like our facebook page here for free updates