Njavara rice/red rice has got many health benefits. It can increase babies’ weight and is known as a natural energizer. Combined with dates puree, increases its nutritional value.
Njavara/red rice porridge is made separately and you can add the dates puree in to it. For older Kids just blend the dates after removing the seeds with the porridge.
Navara /Red rice porridge recipe
- Soak the rice in water for 30 min -1 hr
- Grind this soaked rice with water in a grinder.
- Cook on a low flame till mixture becomes semi solid
- For smaller babies you can strain the mixture before boiling.
To make dates puree
- Ripened dates should be washed thoroughly
- Remove the seeds/pit by slicing the dates with a knife
- Boil water and switch off the flame. Place the dates in the water for half an hour to 45 min in the hot water. Please don’t boil the dates. You can steam it after removing seeds
- After half an hour the dates will be tender and softened
- Remove the outer skin of the dates. It will be easy to remove by now
- You can use a strainer and with the back of the spoon push the dates so that you can collect the puree to a vessel
You can blend the softened and outer skin removed dates with some water in a blender to get soft date puree. Mix both the porridge and dates puree.
For older Kids just blend the dates after removing the seeds with the porridge.
To increase nutritional value and taste you can add ghee, milk/formula milk, cardamom powder , almond powder according to baby’s age.