Sweet potatoes are nutritious and many prefer to give sweet potato for baby as the first food. The sweetness of this vegetable and smooth texture after mashing helps in easy digestion. The sweet potato gives your baby an excellent dose of vitamin A,Vitamin C ,minerals ,anti oxidants and is considered as a super food.
You can start giving sweet potato for baby from 6 month onwards. For some sweet potatoes can cause bloating, so first try it with caution and give one food at a time before combining with other foods.
Sweet potato puree/mash for babies | Sweet potato for baby
Sweet potato – 1
Formula milk or breast milk to adjust the consistency (optional)
1. Take a sweet potato. Wash it thoroughly.
2. Peel the skin and wash again
3. To cook sweet potato
You can either boil it or use pressure cooker or bake it
1. Cut the sweet potato into pieces and Place the pieces in a pan with water .The water must cover the sweet potato. Cook it on a medium flame until it can be easily pricked with a sharp knife. After cooking, drain the water and blend it in a blender to make the purée. You can add breast milk or formula to adjust the consistency you want
You can serve this puree in a sterilized bowl
2. Take a pressure cooker. Add the sweet potato (cut it into half if its a big potato)with some water that is to cover half of the potato and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until it can be easily pricked with a sharp knife
After cooking ,take out the sweet potato, after the pressure is released from the cooker. Chop it and blend it in the mixer or blender. You can add breast milk or formula to adjust the consistency you want
3. Preheat the oven at 350 F for a few minutes. Poke Holes on Sweet potato. Bake for 40-50 minutes .chop it and blend the baked potato in a blender you can add breast milk or formula to adjust the consistency you want.
No salt or sugar until 1 year. You can add ghee or a small pinch of cinnamon powder for flavor, which is optional
For Freezing sweet potato mash
After making mash ,let it cool.Freeze it in a BPA free vessels with lid.Thaw overnight in your refrigerator before use.
you can serve sweet potato with other vegetables,lentils, fruits like apple,cereal like rice,or mix blended meat in sweet potato mash /puree
Benefits of sweet potato
Sweet potato is one of the high calorie starchy food that is low in glycemic index which can help maintain healthy blood sugar levels
Rich source of Vitamin A ,Vitamin B6,Vitamin C and minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and potassium
Highest fiber source so it helps in constipation ,preventing heart diseases, diabetes etc
Rich in anti oxidants that is it could provide protection against some cancers
Pic courtesy: Razia khanom