If your toddler/infant is slow to gain weight, you may have to increase the calorie content of his food with low volume.
If he is healthy, meeting milestones and is active he may be fine. Here is the list of foods which are healthy and rich in calories.
Read Part 1 here Baby and kids Weight Gain and Food
- Cook baby and kids food with olive oil, coconut oil or any vegetable oil.
- You can add ghee and butter to the prepared food or parantha
- Dry fruit powder and powdered nuts can be added to the pancake, milk, porridge after 8 months if there is no allergy
- Whole cream milk is preferred. Milk can only be introduced after 1 year. If indigestion or lactose intolerance speak to your pediatrician.
- Serve milk based pudding and desserts like kheer, payasam etc with jaggery or less sugar
- Avocado slices or dips can be served. It contains healthy fats
- Hummus and Tahini are also rich in protein and fats.
- Milkshakes and smoothies also help in weight gain. Serve with no sugar
- Juicing is not healthy since the fiber in the fruits gets lost during the juicing process.
- You can add peanut butter to milkshakes or smoothies
- You can give almond milk made in home or cook the food in coconut milk.
- Prepare normal khichdi with a little bit of ghee and milk
- Add ragi and njavara/red rice powder to the porridge, paratha, roti, muffins, idly, dosa etc
- Bananas especially Nendran tossed with ghee is another option
- Among vegetables, potatoes and sweet potato are calorie rich. You can add cheese/ghee to the mashed/baked potato
- Almonds, dates, olive, prunes, puffed poha can be given as snacks
There are bad fats and good fats. Kids need Good fat for brain development .But fatty food can be filling as such, so make sure you give other nutrients also.
Like us on Facebook here to get free updates